Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fall is here!

The kids have exactly a month of school under their belts, and I think we're all finally adjusted to the new schedules and activities.

Ben is enjoying having a male teacher for many reasons. First, Mr. Lowe doesn't get as upset as I do when Ben can't remember where he put his homework (men just aren't as organized as women, I'm sorry!). He bought Ben sour Skittles when he had the closest guess to the Ohio State football score (that's their homework every weekend! Go Buckeyes!!). He lets Ben wear his coon-skin hat everyday at school. He bought it at the gift shop of some Indian Caverns we went to a few weekends ago and only takes it off to shower, sleep, and at church although he did put up a good argument for saying it would help him remember the pioneers. Nice try, but no. He also has started playing the viola. He gets to ride the middle school bus a few mornings a week and has orchestra before his school starts. The first few classes were fun, but now that it's getting harder, he's not as excited to go. I always wished I had played the violin, so this is probably just my dream that I'm living through my kid.

Brittany of course loves the social aspect of school and is enjoying 3rd grade. Her teacher is married to the Ohio State defensive coach so she is already excited about possibly getting some autographs later in the year! When I came home from the gym this morning she was in the kitchen going through my cookbook trying to decide what she wanted to make for breakfast. She decided on banana chocolate chip waffles and only needed a little help. She had already changed Brooke's diaper, gotten her dressed for school, let Max out, and had put the juice boxes in the freezer for lunches. Maybe I don't have to be home from the gym by 7:00 anymore!

Brigham is still getting used to the long school days of first grade. He is often tired when he gets home, but wants to stay up as long as Ben which has resulted in some tears at night. Luckily we have reached a compromise and as long as Max can sleep on his bed, he's gotten used to not having Ben in there with him. He is getting very confident in his reading and is always the first one to volunteer during family scripture time. A few nights ago though I asked Ben if he would listen to Brigham do his school reading while I helped Brittany. I had conflicting feelings as I heard them changing the words around in the story to make it comical (at least to pre-adolescent boys!). It made me happy that they were having fun and laughing together, but at the same time I don't want Brigham thinking that the word 'try' is really 'die' or that you can just insert a potty word anywhere you want in a book!

And wow, Brooke is in preschool! The first few weeks were hard. She didn't understand what was happening to her and it was a lot all at once. The bus driver came over before school started so Brooke could meet her and check out the bus. My mom described it pretty well by saying it would be like me getting on a rocket ship and going to the moon! It is big and loud and scary! I had the bus come every morning and I would carry Brooke on (with her clinging to me and pulling my hair) to help her get used to it but then we would just follow the bus to school in the van. After a few days I asked her teacher to try to have her ride the bus home. It was hard, but each day got better. Now she happily rides the bus to and from school. In fact this afternoon she did the sign for 'bus' and then 'more'. She still gets a little nervous from how loud it is, but she'll go right to the aid and as she's getting buckled, she smiles and waves to us out the window as we all stand on the driveway blowing her kisses and acting like idiots! I really like her teachers and they all tell me what a joy it is having Brooke in their class. As I'm feeding her lunch though I really wish she could tell me about her morning. I'm still getting used to not knowing everything that she's doing.

Barr's big event this month was his triathlon on Saturday. You can read his very detailed blog entry about that. Go Barr! I had originally planned on going with him but then Brittany got invited to a birthday party, Ben had a cub scout Shoot-o-ree, and Brigham had a soccer game. They would have missed school on Friday and those events, and I will admit that selfishly I didn't want to sit in the car for 8 hours to turn around and do it again the next day. My parents and nephews ended up coming Friday night so my parent's could go to the temple Saturday morning. We're always glad when they can come but always wish they could stay longer. I ended up taking the kids to an Oktoberfest in the afternoon (not sure why those are in September) and found it strange to be painting pumpkins and taking a hay ride in 89 degree weather!

We had a wonderful little weekend trip to Indiana a few weeks ago. I used the "Time Out for Women" conference as my excuse to go see my old friends. The whole family went and had a great time. The Andersen's were kind enough to host the boys and the Arnold's put the rest of us up. My sister from Cincinnati even joined us for the event. We love going back to Fishers because in a way it feels like we never left. I always have a hard time coming home though. I have struggled finding good friends here so I decided I needed to change that. I cornered a new lady at church on Sunday and told her I was starting a playgroup and would she want to come. Then I called a few other new people in the ward and we had our first get together on Friday. I'm hopeful that this will help or else Barr might have to start looking for a job in Fishers!












On our way to Time Out for Women











Visiting the Fairfields in Indiana










Brooke getting ready for her first day on the bus











Ben mowing the lawn











Dress up fun at the Andersen's














Brooke's new swing...love Ben's coon hat











Brigham's soccer picture day











First day of school for Brittany, Brigham and Ben

2 Comments:

At 6:59 PM , Blogger Steve & Cathy Hill said...

We LOVE your blogs! It's so great to get all the details that it's so easy to miss in phone calls. We're so looking forward to our next visit to see everyone!

We love you all!!!
xoxoxoxo
Grandpa & Grandma Hill

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Grandma Walters said...

Always love your blog, Becky. And I am glad that you are as detailed about the family life as Barr is about his Triathlon! Loved them both! When Telephone Co. wives used to complain about all their moves and it got to my turn to say what I thought I just told them we move in one day, go to Church the next day and have about 300 friends immediately! Of course, that is not CLOSE friends all of them, but it sure made our moves easier, and nearly blew the minds of the other wives not so fortunate!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home